First Box of the Winter Season

It has been an odd summer.  My farmer was having problems with his web site, so I was unable to place orders for quite  a while.  I also have a hard time ordering by 9:00 AM the day before the pick up.  I tried ordering several days ahead of time, but it wouldn’t accept my order too many days before the drop off.  I miss my old CSA where the farmer dropped off what he had and all I had to do was pick it up.  Sigh.

This week we got:

Image

5 lbs of apples;, 3 lbs of potatoes, 2 lbs of beets, swiss chard,, basil,, italian parsley, bell peppers, and leeks.

I’ve been wanting apples to make apple cake, maybe salted caramel apple butter or apple crisp.

Tomorrow I hope to roast the bell peppers so I have them for later, and I definitely see some potato leek soup on our menu this week.  If I get ambitious, maybe I can get those beets pickled.  But I’ve been in one of those kind of pouty, “I want someone else to take care of me for a while ” moods today.  So the most ambitious thing I’ve done today is roast some pumpkin.  Good thing today is Sunday and I can hide my lack of productivity behind watching lots of football.  🙂

I haven’t seen any cranberries listed on the pick sheet yet, and I am starting to get concerned.  Thanksgiving is only 3 weeks away!  Kirsten at Farm Fresh Feasts posted an amazing cranberry sauce that I really want to try this year.

Advertisements

About csamom

Living in Eastern Washington State for the past 15 years, I appreciate the wonderful produce we have available here. I am a working mom, with the typical active family. We have two children, a cat, a fish, and a snake.
This entry was posted in Commentary and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to First Box of the Winter Season

1. Kim says:

Stella are getting yours from Alan?

• csamom says:

Yes, as part of the “Inner Circle” and I pick up at Barnard Griffin Winery. Earlier this year, I ended up buying wine barrels when I picked up my veggies!

2. Kirsten says:

Aww, thanks! My beets are going to go into a pickled herring salad (not for Thanksgiving, that’s just . . . . weird to think about).
    I’ve really sucked at putting up the bell peppers, and we keep getting more and more of them. One or two a week I can use, but 5-6 overwhelms me and I shut down. I kept up with the tomatoes really well–probably used up all my “Putting Veggies Up” karma on them, which is fine by me. I also lack loads of room in the freezer which doesn’t help things but is a wonderful feeling nonetheless.
    I’d like someone to take care of me for a while, too! My spouse comes back this week, and I’ll take care of him for a while to get him reintegrated with the family. Then it’s my turn. 🙂

Glad to see you in my inbox! And thanks for the link to Sharlea’s salted caramel apple butter–I’ve got pears that I’d like to try that with.

• csamom says:

I love putting up tomatoes, but then I use them all too quickly and never have my own later in the year.

Five pounds of tomatillos got made into a spicy sauce that I will have through the winter. Great for Mexican food, but not much good for spaghetti.

I hadn’t thought of salted caramel pear butter. Good idea!

3. Shawn Murrow says:

Glad to see you tiptoeing back!! I have two pumpkins to render, one is blue. I just clean and bake them. What did you do with your roasted pumpkin??

Sent from my iPhone

• csamom says:

A blue pumpkin?! I wish I could see that! 🙂

Pumpkin is just another squash, so use any place you would use mashed squash (known as “squish” at our house).

Pumpkin cheesecake, ice cream, waffles, ravioli. My son’s favorite is good old pumpkin pie. He had a bad day yesterday, so maybe I’ll make him one to cheer him up.

Glad to see you can comment now!